If you want to set up a legal Toronto secondary suite, find out what’s allowed and what you need to do to make it happen.
What Are Secondary Suites?
In simple terms, a Toronto secondary suite is a separate living unit within a house that has its own living, dining, kitchen, sleeping space, and bathroom. most of the time, it’s built for rental purposes or for multi-generational living.
Why Do Secondary Suites Make Sense For Real Estate Investors?
Splitting a house into two rental units by adding a secondary suite in Toronto is a smart way to boost rentable space and rental income in your investment property. It can turn negative cash flows into positive ones, increase value appreciation, and maximize overall returns.
Check out the video below for an example of how adding a Toronto secondary suite in a single-family home can enhance cash flows and returns!
What Are The Egress Requirements In Toronto Secondary Suites?
Additional Notes On Egress Windows (If Required)
What Are The General Window Requirements?
What Are The Ceiling Height Requirements?
Other Fire Safety Requirements
What Are The Size Requirements?
Here Are The Steps To Building A New Secondary Suite In Toronto
How Do You Legalize An Existing Secondary Suite In Toronto?
- Apply for a “Change Of Use Permit” with Toronto Building: This process is similar to building a new secondary suite. If your home is compliant with zoning, Toronto by-laws, and the Ontario Building Code, Toronto building will issue you a permit and your home will be inspected. If changes need to be made, you will be required to make corrections before your secondary suite can be legalized.
- Contact Toronto Fire Services (TFS) if your secondary suite existed before July 14, 1994: TFS will inspect your home to ensure it complies with Fire Code and the requirements under Part 9 Retrofit. You will also need to contact the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) to ensure electrical compliance. If changes need to be made, you will be required to make corrections before your secondary suite can be retrofitted. Toronto Building does not get involved in this option.
Want More Information About Secondary Suites In Toronto?
For a complete list of requirements and details on how to get a building permit for a secondary suite in Toronto, you can visit the following links:
- City Of Toronto By-Laws: Secondary Suites
- Ontario Building Code: Secondary Suites
- Toronto Building Permit Guide
- Toronto Building Customer Service: 416.397.5330 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Everything You Need To Know About Toronto Laneway Suites!
- Everything You Need To Know About Toronto Garden Suites!
Want To Get Started With Real Estate Investing In Toronto?
We’d be happy to learn more about your situation and help you find the best investment opportunities for you.